Assembly of the Chamber of Notaries is a supreme body of the Chamber of Notaries. The Assembly convenes at least twice a year, summoned by the Board (Presidium) of Chamber of Notaries. The Assembly is acknowledged legitimate if more than half of members of the Chamber participate.
The Competence of the Assembly of Chamber of Notaries:
1) accepts the Statute of Chamber of Notaries, amends and appends it;
2) determines the policies of Chamber of Notaries;
3) approves Chamber's annual accountancy, income and spending estimates, annual report of the Board of the Chamber of Notaries;
4) sets the amount of membership fee and other fees, necessary for the activities of the Chamber of Notaries;
5) approves the members of the Board elected at Chamber's contituencies, elects the President and Vice President of the Chamber;
6) elects the Chamber of Notaries audit commission;
7) accepts, amends and appends the legal documents which regulate activities of notaries;
8) disposes of the funds and other assets of the Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries;
9) elects two members of the Court of Honor of Notaries;
10) approves the procedures of reimbursement for the expenses of the President, Vice President, members of the Board.
Board (or Presidium) is a collegial management body of the Chamber of Notaries. The Board consists of eight members, elected and appointed by the Assembly of members of the Chamber of Notaries for the four-year term of office. Members of the Board cannot be a part of the Court of Honor or any other body or commission of Chamber.
Picture: the Board of the Chamber of Notaries, appointed on September 19, 2020 at the Assembly of members of the Chamber of Notaries:
President Marius Stračkaitis, Vice President Daiva Lukaševičiūtė-Binkulienė, notary of Vilnius Svajonė Šaltauskienė, notary of Vilnius Dainius Palaima, notary of Kaunas Rasa Ona Inokaitienė, notary of Radviliškis Daiva Verpetinskienė, notary of Palanga Jurgita Doržinkevičienė, notary of Kupiškis Asta Grambienė.
Photo by Olga Posaškova and Martynas Ambrazas.
The President of Chamber leads the activities of the Chamber in between of the sittings of the Board (Presidium) and represents the Chamber in Lithuania and abroad.
President of Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries
• 1990 - finished Klaipeda K. Donelaitis secondary school. Entered Vilnius University, Law Department.
• 1995 - graduated from Law Department of Vilnius University with a degree in Law.
• 1993 - 1995 – worked as a notary assistant for Klaipeda Notary Bureau No.1.
• 1995 - 1999 – was a notary candidate (assessor).
• 1995 - 2003 – taught Law disciplines at Klaipeda University.
• 1999 – passed the notary qualification examination and was appointed as notary by the Minister of Justice.
• From 1999 until present works as a notary for Klaipeda Notary Bureau No.1. He is also the manager of the Notary Bureau.
• From 2002 - 2006 he was a presidium member of Notary Chamber of the Republic of Lithuania.
• From 2005 - member of the committee of the public competition for occupying the notary’s position.
• From 2006 - 2008 he was the vice-president of Lithuanian Notaries’ Chamber.
• From 2006 - 2014 member of European Affairs Committee (CAE) of Union of International Notarial Union (UINL).
• From 2008 elected to be the president of Lithuanian Notaries’ Chamber. In 2017 re-elected for the fourth consecutive term of office.
• From 2009 - 2011 was a member of Mykolas Romeris University’s Council.
• From 2011 information supplier for the World Bank's international research "Doing business".
• Since 2012 – vice-president of the International Institute for Notarial History (IIHN).
• Member of the Supervisory Committee of the Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania since 2009.
• Since 2013 he has been a member of Klaipeda Council of Commerce, Industry and Crafts.
• Since 2013 he has been a member of a permanent working group coordinating activities for prevention of terrorist financing and money laundering, which is formed by the order of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania.
• From 2014 - member of the General Council of the International Union of Latin Notaries (UINL).
• Since 2015 - a permanent contact person for provision of data for the European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ).
• Since 2017 - member of the International Notarial Cooperation Commission of the International Union of Notaries.
• Member of working groups for preparation of laws and other legal acts.
• Co-author of the book "The History of Lithuanian Notariat", R. Paknio publishing company, 2012.
• Co-author of the book "The History of Lithuanian Notariat"
• Co-author of Chapter XI “Hypothec” to the fourth book of the commentary of the Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania “Real Rights”, "Justitia", 2013.
• Co-author of the book "Notariate Law", printing house "Druka", 2014.
• Co-author of the book Notes of European Notaries on Comparative Law. European Institute of Research and Notarial Studies I.R.E.N.E.). 2014, Vol. I.
• Co-author for the international magazine on history of notaries "Gnomon" Nr. 184, 2015.
• Co-author of magazine "Петербургский нотариус", 2 (14) 2017, Russia.
• Co-author of magazine "Notar-z.si/notarski-vestnik", 2017, Slovenia
• Co-author of magazine "Нотаріат України", 4 (27) 2017, Ukraine.
• Co-author of “Law of Succession” (“Paveldejimo teise”), publisher: Versus, 2018.
• Author and co-author of various articles.
• 2005-05-04, reports ‘The structure of the notariat in Lithuania’ and ‘Interaction of notaries with registries in the Republic of Lithuania’; International seminar ‘Difficulties of Latin notariat in Eastern Europe countries’; Saint Petersburg, Russia.
• 2007-05-30, report ‘Executive inscriptions of the notary: theory and practice’; International conference ‘Bill of exchange: from signing to execution’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2011-05-11, report ‘Problems of determining a person’s legal capacity in notary’s practice’; Conference ‘Problems of determination of a person’s legal capacity’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2011-10-06, report ‘Application of information technologies in the work of the notary of the Republic of Lithuania’; International seminar on application of information technologies; Kazan, Russia.
• 2011-12-09, report ‘Issues and experience of ten-year application of the Civil Code in notarial practice’; Conference ‘Ten years with the Civil Code’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2012-05-11, report ‘The regulation of the notary’s professional activity’; Annual conference and discussion ‘Regulation of professional activities of the legal professions – the bar, the notariat and bailiffs’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2012-05-15, report ‘Application of information technologies in the work of the notary in Lithuania’; International seminar on questions regarding interaction of electronic registries; Smolensk, Russia.
• 2012-06-28, report ‘Application of information technologies in the work of the notary of the Republic of Lithuania’; International scientific-practical conference ‘The notariat of Kazakhstan: status, stages and prospects of development’; Astana, Kazakhstan.
• 2012-09-10, report ‘The role of a notary in the family law of Lithuania’; Baltic Council of Notaries in Tallinn, Estonia.
• 2012-12-01, report ‘The future of the Lithuanian notariat – progress and improvement’; International conference ‘Law. Responsibility. Reliability’, dedicated to the 20th anniversary of Law on the Notariat of Republic of Lithuania; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2013-05-22, report ‘General purchase-sale contract law of Europe: the notary’s view’; Conference ‘General purchase-sale contract law of Europe: practical benefits to merchants and consumers’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2013-09-20, report ‘The reform of mortgage and pledge law in Lithuania, its positive impact on the country, society and business’; International conference, dedicated to the 20th anniversary of Latvian notariat ‘Ex-post impact assessment of decisions of the Parliaments of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia’; Riga, Latvia.
• 2013-11-08, report ‘Notariat – is a tool ensuring the financial security of the state’; International conference for Lithuanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2014-05-09, report ‘Legislative initiatives of the last year focused on increase of transparency level of state finances and strengthening of the role of notaries in assurance of security of state finances’; The 5th legal congress of the Lithuanian Bar Association; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2014-05-15, reports ‘Types of legal regulation with regard to property of spouses in Lithuania’, ‘Legal regulation of artificial insemination and surrogate motherhood in Lithuania’; Astana, Kazakhstan.
• 2014-05-21, report ‘The system of assignment of ownership for real estate of the Republic of Lithuania’; Conference ‘Informatization of justice’; Warsaw, Poland.
• 2014-05-22, report ‘Future of Lithuanian notariat – progress and improvement’; Conference ‘Notarial actions – experiences of Lithuania and Poland’; Wigry, Sejny.
• 2014-09-12/13, reports ‘Ethics of the notary’s professional activities in Lithuania’, ‘Notaries and state registries’, ‘Principles and program of qualification improvement of notaries’; International conference ‘Notaries on the service of modern society’; Tbilisi, Georgia.
• 2014-10-20, report ‘The Lithuanian notariat – it is a bridge between West and East’; International conference ‘10th anniversary of Lithuania in the European Union. Lithuanian notariat – it is a bridge between west and east’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2014-10-31, report ‘The system of professional ethics and qualification improvement in the Republic of Lithuania and the use of information technologies in a notary’s work in the Republic of Lithuania’; Seminar – discussion about challenges and tendencies in development of modern notary system; Yerevan, Armenia.
• 2014-11-28, report ‘The role of a notary in the sphere of corporate law’; Conference ‘Corporate law: status quo, challenges and perspectives’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2014-12-09, report ‘The system of qualification improvement of the notaries’; The International conference ‘Tendencies of strategic development of Latin notariat in Europe. Problems and prospects’; Kyiv, Ukraine.
• 2015-05-15, reports ‘Application of information technologies in the work of notaries of Lithuania’; International conference ‘Tasks and functions of notariat at the current stage of society development’; Minsk, Belarus.
• 2015-08-21, report ‘The system of qualification improvement of the notaries in Lithuania’; International seminar; Almaty, Kazakhstan.
• 2015-09-18, report ‘Legal developments and innovations of Lithuanian notariat’. Meeting of Baltic Council of Notaries; Tallinn, Estonia.
• 2016-04-07, reports ‘Civil liability and lost income insurance of notaries in Lithuania’, ‘Information technologies in a notary’s work in Lithuania’, ‘Application of information technologies in the work of notaries of Lithuania’; Scientific-practical conference ‘The national and international standards of development of notarial profession: tendencies and development perspectives’; Kyiv, Ukraine.
• 2016-06-11, report ‘Notary’s role in guaranteeing the protection of vulnerable persons in transactions’; Conference ‘Social role of notariat’ commemorating the 20th anniversary of the notariat of Georgia; Tbilisi, Georgia.
• 2016-09-15, report ‘Perspectives of the notariat of Lithuania’; Baltic Council of Notaries; Riga, Latvia.
• 2016-12-02, report ‘Actualities of the Lithuanian notariat’; International conference ‘450th anniversary of notarial profession in Lithuania’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2017-03-24, report ‘Notarial functions regarding inheritance procedures in Republic of Lithuania’; Coordination and Methodological Council meeting; Saint Petersburg, Russia.
• 2017-06-08, report ‘Grounds ant types of professional liability of a notary. Questions regarding application of civil liability to notaries’; International conference ‘Extrajudicial protection of the rights of individuals and legal entities: The current state and prospects for the development of notarial profession’; Minsk, Belarus.
• 2017-06-09, report ‘Professional ethics of notaries’; Round table discussion; Minsk, Belarus.
• 2017-06-14, report about the principles of the Latin notariat, reform of the notariat in Lithuania, compulsory notarial form of documents and functions of notaries; Round table discussion on the reform of the notariat of Ukraine; Kyiv, Ukraine.
• 2017-09-05, report ‘View of Lithuania on the prospects of notariat of Ukraine’; International conference “Strategy of notariat development in Ukraine as a latin notariat”; Kyiv, Ukraine.
• 2017-12-02, report ‘25th anniversary of notarial reform in Lithuania’; Conference ‘25th anniversary of notarial reform in Lithuania’; Vilnius, Lithuania.
• 2017-12-13, report ‘Experience of Lithuania in reforming notariat from state-run to Latin type’; Work meeting with the representatives of delegation from Republic of Uzbekistan ‘Modernization, digitalization and self-government of notariat of the Republic of Uzbekistan’; Berlin, Germany.
• 2018-01-27, report about eNotaras system in Lithuania; Round table discussion about the systems of information technologies; Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
• 2018-06-01, report ‘Legal regime of property of spouses in Republic of Lithuania’; International practical seminar; Kaliningrad, Russia.
• 2018-08-30, report ‘The role of notaries of Lithuania in implementing the prevention of legalization of illegally obtained assets’; International Belarus-German seminar; Minsk, Belarus.
• 2018-09-07, report ‘The application of information technologies in the work of notaries of Lithuania and preparation of eNotaras system installation’; Conference ‘The strategy of development of the Latin type notariat in Ukraine’; Kyiv, Ukraine.
• 2018-11-07, report ‘A shift from state notarial system to private notariat’; Conference; Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
• 2019-03-29, report ‘Document approval by certificate (Apostille)’; International conference; Minsk, Belarus.
• 2019-06-14, report ‘The Basic Principles of the Latin Notariat“; International conference “The Principles of the Latin Notary System and the Digitalisation of the Modern Notary System’; Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
• 2019-07-03, report ‘The Financial Independence of Notaries, Service Prising Strategies, Supervision of Activities and Disciplinary Liability of Notaries’; Round table discussion; Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
• 2020-10-02, report about the news of Lithuanian notariat; Meeting of Baltic Council of Notaries (remotely); Vilnius, Lietuva.
• 2020-10-07, report “Peculiarities of notarization of family law contracts. Competence of notary regarding marriage and divorce”; International Web-Symposium of European and Asian Notaries (remote); Kiev (Ukraine).
• 2021-03-30, report “Remote notariat in Lithuania, its tools and preservation of the rule of law”; “Verslo žinios” remote annual conference of company law "Teisės PRO"; Vilnius, Lithuania.
1991 graduated cum laude from the Faculty of Law at Vilnius University and started working as notary at Vilnius 1st state notarial office.
Since December 1, 1992 works as notary at Vilnius city 2nd notarial bureau.
1999 -2005 - a member of the Board of the Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries.
2006-2008 - President of the Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries.
Since 2008 - Vice president of Lithuanian Chamber of Notaries.
1999-2004 - a Chaiperson of Commission of notarial qualification examination, 2004-2006 - deputy chairperson. Since 2003 - a member of the Notarial public contest commission.
On April 2, 2011 Daiva Lukaševičiūtė-Binkulienė was re-elected as Vice president of the Chamber of Notaries for the second three-year term.
On March 29, 2014 Daiva Lukaševičiūtė-Binkulienė was re-elected as Vice president of the Chamber of Notaries for the third three-year term.
On April 1, 2017 Daiva Lukaševičiūtė-Binkulienė was re-elected as Vice president for the fourth consecutive term of office.
1. Court of Honor of Notaries investigates the cases of breach of professional ethics and malfeasances of notaries. The Court acts in accordance with the Regulations of the Court of Honors of Notaries, approved by the Minister of Justice.
2. Court of Honor of Notaries consists of five notaries. Two of them are elected at the Assembly of the Chamber of Notaries, two are appointed by the Minister of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania, one is appointed by the Chairperson of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Lithuania.
3. The term of office of the Court lasts for three years.
4. The Court of Honor of Notaries can serve if more than half of its members are elected or appointed.
Present composition of the Court of Honor of Notaries:
Mrs. Vaiva Staskonytė - Malcienė - notary of Vilnius city 1st notary bureau, chairman,
Mr. Mindaugas Statkevičius - notary of Kaunas city 24 th notary bureau, vice-chairman,
Mrs. Silva Jonaitienė - notary of Šiauliai city 5th notary bureau,
Mrs. Renata Juzikienė - lecturer of Vilnius University Faculty of Law, Chancellor of Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania,
Mrs. Virginija Pupkienė - notary of Panevėžys city 3rd notary bureau,
Mrs. Jurga Prižgintienė - notary of Klaipėda city 7th notary bureau,
Mrs. Zita Smirnovienė - former judge of Supreme Court of Lithuania, former member of Chief Administrative Disputes Commission.